MONDAY 20 – SUNDAY 26 MARCH 2023
What is Harmony Day?
Harmony Day, which is held on the 21st of March every year, is a time to celebrate Australia’s cultural diversity and promote inclusiveness, respect and a sense of belonging with its key message being ‘Everyone Belongs’.
Celebrating Harmony Week in the Classroom
Harmony Week is a special occasion that celebrates cultural diversity and promotes inclusivity and respect for all people, regardless of their background. As a teacher, you can take this opportunity to teach your students about the importance of harmony and acceptance, while also having fun and engaging activities. Here are some different ways to celebrate Harmony Week in the clasroom:
- Watch cultural performances – You can show videos or invite performers to showcase different cultural performances such as music, dance, or storytelling. This can be a great way to expose your students to different art forms and appreciate the richness of cultural diversity.
3. Create a class mural or collage – Get your students to work together to create a colorful and vibrant mural or collage that represents different cultures and traditions. You can use materials such as paper, paint, or fabric to create a beautiful and meaningful display.
2. Organise a food festival – Ask your families to bring in their favourite cultural dish or snack to share with the class. You can create a mini food festival where everyone can sample different foods and learn about each other’s favourite recipes.
4. Dress up in traditional clothing or wear orange – Encourage your students to come to school dressed in traditional clothing that represents their culture or heritage. You can also organise a fashion show where students can showcase their outfits and explain the significance behind them.
5. Share cultural stories and experiences – Invite your students to share their cultural background and stories, and encourage them to ask questions and learn about each other’s traditions and customs. You can also read books or watch videos about different cultures and discuss what you learned. These are my favourite Harmony Week books:
Harmony Week provides an excellent opportunity to promote cultural understanding, appreciation and inclusivity among students.
Click here to download your FREE Harmony Day writing activity!
Check out these fun activities as well!